Heroes 3.5: Wake of Gods Portal > Free Heroes of Might and Magic II 0.8 release (also for MacOS and Linux)
Free Heroes of Might and Magic II 0.8 release (also for MacOS and Linux)
fheroes2 – free implementation of Heroes of the Might and Magic II game engine with a plenty of delightful changes! Here is a short list of them:
- Major rework of battle animations including units, spells and heroes
- Implementation of color cycling to animate water/lava surfaces, adventure map objects and units
- Refining UI including scaling, responsiveness, alignment and content (both text and sprites)
- Implementation of missing spell effects such as Lightning, Armageddon, Death Wave as well as fixing many others
- Update render engine and added SDL 2 optimizations; better fullscreen and high resolution support
- Numerous game logic fixes including combat, spells, map, AI and pathfinding
- Improvement of music support and sound mapping, updated MIDI converter
- Add SMK video support
- Over 200 bugs fixed since 0.7 release
|Free Heroes of Might and Magic II 0.8 release (GitHub)|
|GOG Heroes 2 version|
You can download a compiled version of the game for your operating system via Github releases of this project.
You are required to have at least a demo version of Heroes of Might and Magic II or GOG version of Heroes 2 game to be able to play it. Please use one of our scripts to download the demo version of the original game. A script comes with the compiled game.
MacOS and Linux
Unix OSes need an explicit installation of SDL. Please go to
script/linux directory depending on your OS package and run install_sdl_1.sh or install_sdl_2.sh file. For MacOS we highly recommend to use SDL 2 as latest versions of MacOS does not support SDL 1 fully.
Please follow below instructions to be able to compile the project:
- Optional step: Install 7-zip archiver at its default location as
C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z.exeor otherwise, you will need to manually extract each downloaded package (follow instructions shown by batch scripts mentioned below).
script/windowsdirectory and run install_packages.bat file. It installs necessary packages for Visual Studio build.
script/demodirectory and run demo_windows.bat file. It downloads a demo version of the game which is needed for minimum development.
- open fheroes.vcxproj by Visual Studio and compile the project.
MacOS and Linux
script/linuxdirectory depending on your OS and run install_sdl_1.sh or install_sdl_2.sh file. For MacOS we recommend to run SDL 2 as latest versions of MacOS does not support SDL 1 fully.
script/demodirectory and run demo_macos.sh or demo_linux.sh file depending on your OS. It downloads a demo version of the game which is needed for minimum development.
makecommand in root directory of the project. For SDL 2 compilation please run
export WITH_SDL2="ON"command before compiling the project.